Friday, January 18, 2008

Hearing from the grads

A large number of our students graduated in December. I am hearing now from several who are either asking me for a reference or telling me about being hired for a job. It is these moments that frame all we do as teachers. Yes, yes, I know, we are not working in vocational schools. It is not all about jobs. Or is it? Were we professors of theatre, our graduates, hopefully, would work in the state or before the camera. Our learners will practice jobs. Jobs become their stages. They "stage" their professional and managerial work by enacting their interpretation of the requirements of the job. I think we prepare them, as entrepreneurial learners, to stage jobs that produce so much value to stakeholders that they flourish in their careers. I just read Tim's e-mail. He has been hired by Enterprise. He took three undergraduate courses with me. My hope and expectation is that how Tim practice this job will amaze the Enterprise management. "Give us more from Tim's School. Look what he can do with this job!". Tim wins. Enterprise wins, and we who taught Tim win.

What are you hearing and learning from your recent grads?

No comments: