Thursday, April 3, 2008

We who are about to teach

What is it about these moments before we go to our classrooms that is so delectable?

No matter what else comes my way; no matter how much I have swampued myself (OBTC Program Coordinator, among the ways), I love this feeling!

Today's session will be on leadership. Tuesday, they watched a clip from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest where Randall McMurphy (Jack) tries to pull the marble sink out of the tub room floor. They talked about moments like this in their lives, when they "tried, Goddamn it, at least they tried". Then, they had a lively conversation with two of my former students who are the front-line team marketing their company's premium-priced products and winning against the Wal-Mart of their industry - 3M.

Today, they will experinence an exercise I designed and have modified from the old Block Stacking game of the Kolb, Rubin, and Macintyre (spelling from memory) OB book of 1972. We use tiny sugar cubes. It raises energies and ideas about the intimate moments when one leads, another, seeing less well what is ahead, follows. We'll cap off this class by listening to another installment of a CD book version of Company, by Max Berry (2006). They consider the satirically jumble corporate life of a recent college grad- Stephen Jones. In less than two months, over half these classes will be college grads, hoping they do not land a job as bizzare as our man Jones.

I am never sure how it will all come out. I'll read their accounts of lessons learned in our Vista Blackboard postings.

Yes, I who am about to teach, thank my lucky stars that I have had nearly 40 years of these delectable moments.

Have you?

No comments: