Tuesday, May 6, 2008

By the force of their intelligence

My 23 mile daily commute from home to campus gives me the time to listen to unabrdiged books on tape/CD. I choose relaxing fiction, reserving my conventional reading time for work reading. I keep a tape recorder handy for those moments when something is said or done in a story that I connect to what I am teaching or what I say about teaching, as in this Blog. This morning, a man tells a CIA Agent, "You get to the truth by the force of intelligence." That notion was recorded, and then offered to my students in our last class of the semester. I asked them to think of educating as a principle means of growing the force of their intelligence. Like this Agent, they will be recognized and rewarded for bringing about solutions alone or in concert with others. How do we teach so that our learners may increase the force of their inborn intelligence? Surely, we have to give them chances to dissolve the reasons for uncertainty in various learning exercises. One does not grow this essential asset by repeating what has been memorized or similarly safe and easy tasks. Entrprenuerial learners win by the sheer force of their intelligence.

No comments: