Thursday, March 6, 2008

Did my idea work?

Hopefully, you read what I posted earlier today. Now, I have tried that idea that came to be on my drive in. I did ask two of the 28 undergrads in each OB section to stay at their tables and ushered the other 26 out. I told them to stay close to the door, but nothing elese. I let everyone stew a bit, then I told the two "keepers" that I had actually chosen them at random. I told the "discarded" that there was really no reason to exclude them. In between, those outside the door told me they have speculated on all sorts of reasons. When they all came in and we went on with the pre-planned activity. Here is what John, one of those chosen to stay, wrote in the reflections they post on all our class events.

Thursday, March 6

Event # 3 – One Bean in a Million – Well, not a million beans await you, but a whole mess of ‘em. Among them is The One. This is The Bean who has all the Me qualities needed to be GKN Aerospace Structures. Teams become head hunters (wait a minute, beans don’t have heads, do they?) for our GKN – seeking the next Intern. Teams will conduct a Bean Search, drawing candidate “beans” from the large pool of applicants, examining each to find that special one. The first to find it, earns the Game Points (and a double bean bonus) There are three other high-potential beans in the pool for second, third, and fourth place. Find them and (L)earn.

Q: What was the point of this odd bean exercise? Doc may have had one in mind, but the actual point of it is what each of you thinks it is, looking back on the search for the “one bean in a million? What does it mean to you?

A: To me the point of this exercise was to demonstrate the value of being different, and the work neccesary to identify and separate those that have a potential to be great and add value to an organization.

Q: Imagine for a moment that you are one of those rare, highly sought after beans. How would this make you feel and what would you do about it?

A: For a moment I was when Doc asked Michelle and me to stay in the room. There was a strange mix of feelings that came over me. First, being chosen meant that someone had set an expectation of me that now needed to be lived up to. That felt good but at the same time I worried that they may have set their expectations too high. I began to hope that I could live up to their expectations. Second, the pressure of being the chosen one is much higher than being on the side line waiting to be chosen. This is because I had done something right and the spot light was on me. I frantically started searching my mind for the reason that set me apart so that it could be duplicated or acted upon. Third, I realized that those who are rejected will look at me differently from now on; for just a minute ago we were all on the same page, but now I am ahead. I didn't want anyone to look toward me any differently than before. Overall it felt great. It was good to feel that someone believes in my abilities. I believe that doubting oneself after being chosen is natural. I have found through experience that when I let my doubt get the better of me I begin acting out of character in an attempt to prove to myself that there is nothing to worry about. If this were a real hire or promotion I would enter the job with my doubt on the backburner. I would be myself, the same person I was when I was spotted and interviewed, and do my best to be a positive contributor to that organization.

Q: Imagine, for a moment, that you are not one of those “special beans”. You are one of the many. How would this make you feel and what would you do about it?

A: It would send me back to the drawing board looking for answers. I have been told at times in my life that I over analyze situations, and I would certainly be dissecting my character looking for answers to why I wasn't chosen. I can understand why people who are not chosen begin to look differently upon those who are. I would analyze the character of the chosen ones to see what sets them apart. A set back like this would drive me to do better the next time around.

No comments: