Monday, November 5, 2007

Entreprenuerial learner?

Our OBTC 2008 conference theme is: Entrepreuerial teaching. Entreprenuerial learning. Just what is meant be the latter? Management educators share responsiblity with those who come to us for teaching for what they become thereafter. Convention would have it that they become managers, or better at managing. Our job is to show them how it is done. Speaking only for myself, I don't know how it is done. I have research that tells me something of how is was done and how it seemed to work yesterday. What managing will take tomorrow is, for me at least, an open question. Thus, I must adapt and adjust my teaching to favor learning over knowledge aquistion. My mission is to model and support what it means to be an entreprenurial learner. This is one open to every opportunity to extract valuable lessons from our daily experience. Entreprenuers are restless seekers; a human-sized itch from head to toe, to discover the early edges of something the future will reward, if only someone would create it. I want to point my learners to where I see those "early edges" of new ways to practice and join them in scratching the itch of curiosity that encountering new ideas inflames. I know I am torturing an analogy here, but itch it is. How would your teaching change if the body of formal knowledge about managerial and organizational behavior were to be presented as interesting history, with the most time and energy devoted to what it will take next to make history? When you come to Babson College for OBTC 2008, you will see their Entrepreneur Hall of Fame. Read their stories. They made business history. Nothing less than entrepreneurial teaching and learning will give me assurance that many, not just a few, of my students are going to earn their places in business history.

2 comments:

Anna Parkman said...

The conference theme for this year is both inspiring and dare I admit; a bit intimidating. This is my first time to submit a proposal to this group and I will be a first time attendee. What seems like a stretch or a risk in the classroom for me and my students might be old hat to some. Dare I put something out there? Am I really pushing the envelope? Then again, I am very much energized around the theme and I cannot wait to see what people bring forward. The conference is months away and yet I anticipate the final agenda. I am hoping I will see things along the continuum, inviting us all to try something new, take a risk and share the results. While I am not sure I am driven to blow minds in the classroom, I am very much driven to engage them in new and innovative ways…including my own.

David Fearon said...

You are the FIRST to comment in our Blog, Anna, so see, you ARE an entreprenurial teacher. Stay tuned. I am going to promote this Blog. And please let others in on our forthcoming conversations.