Friday, November 30, 2007

Judgement

I am enjoying my thoughts spurred by Noel Tichy and Warren Bennis' October 2007 HBR article "Making Judgement Calls". What I enjoy is a good intra-cranial dialectic.

One the one hand, I am unabashedly promoting entrepreneurial teahing, learning, and organizing. Experiment, see what works, grab opportunity as you fly by. Risky, even reckless come to mind.

On the other hand, Tichy and Bennis rightfully sober me up by reminding me of my obligation to exercise and demonstrate good judgement as a teacher for leaders, further, to help them realize how the results of calls they will make can and will effect the lives and livlihoods of others.

Perhaps there is only one hand on this question. Our management learners will be working in what Peter Vaill named "Permanent Whitewater" back in 1989. Events will come at them like those imobile bolders in a Wyoming Level 5 river. They must be ready to make judgement calls that first steer them and their followers around the immeadiate crashes, but then must be developed into well executed course corrections with little chance of steering to calm waters for deliberations.

I look forward to reading Noel and Warren's forthcoming book on this subject.

What do you think? Is entrepreneurial behavior in conflict with exercising well reasoned judgements?

No comments: