Monday, November 19, 2007

What about Entreprenuerial Learners?

I see the object of teaching to be that others will learn. We teach managerial and organizational behavior so that others may learn what works, how, and why.

Here is the rub. Do we know what works, how, and why? Are we sure?

Despite the care taken by the researchers whose findings we assimilate into our own understanding of organizations managing to create and sustain business, are there sufficient truths to tell?

No, say I. Thus, I am attracted to the notion of entrepreneurial teaching and entrepreneurial learning.

As one who teaches this way, I am publicly exploring. My students see me as an optimistic skeptic. I acknowledge that the concepts I have them read for use are quite good, but I say, "Until they, you, or I find a better explanation.". After all, we are talking about senescent humans behaving, not gears and pulleys. So, like the opportunistic business entrepreneur, I am constantly looking for threads, leads, smart folks, themes, patterns, rumbles. I want to be formed, not just informed.

I want my students to believe that this is authentic learning behavior for a PhD with over thirty years in the profession.

Why?

I don't tell them to be entrepreneurial in how they go about OB learning, I behave it (as best I can). I design my courses and classes to foster making, testing, and communicating one's own sense of what is before us.

What do you think about this? Am I just having a solo peacock moment, or is this helpful to you in understanding the theme of our conference?

No comments: